On Wednesday, Nov. 9, the Lovell Woman’s Club celebrated its 100-year anniversary at the Big Horn Federal hospitality room. The focus was on the club’s history over the past 100 years presented by the acting president and past presidents. Members enjoyed wearing their finery, as was the tradition of the ladies in years past and sported many lovely hats.
On Feb. 11, 1911 at the home of Cora Leedom, 22 members met to organize the Lovell Woman’s Club, affiliated with the Wyoming and National Federations of Woman’s Clubs. The purpose of the club at that time was for the general improvement of the women and the immediate intention being to take up the study of domestic science. Soon their meetings included music, literature and the arts.
In February 1922, plans were made to establish a library in Lovell. A book social was held, netting 122 volumes for the library. Club fundraisers helped fund the library, which was located in the American Legion Hall. In 1928, the library moved to the town hall, remaining there until 1962. The next location was the Welch Building on Third Street. On Nov. 17, 1972, an open house was held at the new library building located on the land donated by Marlo and Irene Robertson on Oregon Ave. The club is still “mother hen” to the library.
Through the years, the club has undertaken countless other worthwhile projects. Some included a Christmas toy drive, a cancer detection clinic, C.A.R.E. self-help program, yearly blood drives, a bike-a-thon for Cystic Fibrosis and the Wyoming Boys Ranch. Many cultural programs included versions of musicals such as “Flower Drum Song,” “Carousel,” “Song of Norway,” “The Music Man” and the complete production of “Showboat.” The club sponsored and directed the Lovell Mustang Days Follies which were presented each June at the Hyart, originating in the early 1960’s until 2004.
The club continues annual financial donations and assistance to the following: Children’s Resource Center, Grad Night Out, Lovell/Rocky High School scholarships, Lovell Library, Lovell Area Chamber of Commerce, city beautification, Veterans Memorial Park, reading programs (RIF), NBH Hospital, Operation Smile, the Hyart and the Pryor Mountain Wild Mustang Center. Many significant gifts can be seen throughout the community presented by the Lovell Woman’s Club.
Currently meeting at Big Horn Federal, the club’s objective is “to stimulate intellectual development and promote unity of purpose and good fellowship through community service.”