Military pass for free access to Bighorn Canyon NRA

As part of the Joining Forces Initiative to support our nation’s service members and their families, Bighorn Canyon National Recreation Area, the National Park Service and other federal agencies have granted free access to more than 2,000 national parks, wildlife refuges, national forests and other public lands around the nation in the coming years.

Beginning on Armed Forces Day, May 19, 2012, the active duty service men and women – Army, Marines, Navy, Air Force, Coast Guard and activated National Guard and Reserves – can obtain the new military version of the America the Beautiful Pass – The National Parks and Federal Recreational Lands Annual Pass. The pass will be accepted at National Park, U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, Bureau of Reclamation, Bureau of Land Management, U.S. Forest Service, and U.S. Army Corps sites that charge entrance fees and standard amenity fees.

The initiative was announced on May 15, 2012, during a ceremony at Colonial National Historical Park in Yorktown, Va., where Secretary of the Interior Ken Salazar, Director of the National Park Service Jonathan B. Jarvis and Assistant Secretary of the Army (Civil Works) Jo-Ellen Darcy distributed the first passes to one member from each of the military’s five branches.

“Our nation owes a debt of gratitude to our service men and women who make great sacrifices and put their lives on the lines to protect our country and protect our freedom,” Secretary Salazar said. “In recognition of their contributions and service, we are putting out a welcome mat for these brave men and women and their families at America’s most beautiful and storied sites.”

Military members and their dependents can pick up a pass at any national park that charges an entrance fee including Bighorn Canyon National Recreation Area. Service members must show a current, valid military identification card to obtain their pass. The pass is also available to active military dependents that show a current, valid military dependent identification card.

For more information, please visit: