Fire claims home

An evening house fire battled by firemen in bitterly cold temperatures Tuesday night left a Lovell family without a home.

David Peck photo
Lovell volunteer firemen move toward a house ablaze on Pennsylvania Avenue in Lovell Tuesday evening as flames flare into the night sky.

The Lovell Volunteer Fire Dept. was called to a blaze at 242 Pennsylvania Ave. in Lovell at 6:53 p.m. Tuesday, new Fire Chief Mike Jameson said. Jameson said Lovell Police Sgt. Roger Haney was at the scene when firemen arrived and had helped members of the family to safety with the south wing of the home afire and smoke filling the rest of the structure.

The home is owned by Scott and Keeli Savage, and Jameson said Keeli and one of the two boys were home at the time of the blaze but got out safely. Scott Savage was at work.

The fire started in the south wing of the house, and firemen used positive pressure to keep the fire in that room and push the flames out a window and door, Jameson said.

“It worked exactly how we wanted it to,” he said.

Jameson said 23 firemen responded to the call, many of them battling the frigid temperatures to fight the blaze with temperatures hovering around zero. The last truck headed back to the fire hall at 9:06 p.m., the chief said.

“We were trying to keep equipment and the lines from freezing up,” Jameson said. “The guys did a good job. We didn’t have anything freeze up.”

Firemen checked on the house from time to time during the night, but a neighbor called just after 5 a.m. Wednesday to report that the fire had rekindled. Firemen responded again, and Jameson said the fire had moved up into the attic, noting that the house has two ceilings, which complicated efforts to extinguish the blaze. Firemen took a vent off the roof to reach the fire above the second ceiling, he said. The re-ignition was fully extinguished by around 7 p.m., the chief said.

Jameson said firemen believe they know what started the fire Tuesday night, but he didn’t want to say anything until a fire investigator arrived from Cheyenne Wednesday.

By David Peck

One comment

  1. Dear Editor,
    A big thank you to the Lovell Fire Department. Your quick response and vigilance were responsible for putting out this fire. The one thing not mentioned in David’s article (because he had no way of knowing) was my grandson, Ira, saved his mom. My daughter, Keeli, was born without a sense of smell. She was resting in the living room. He, too, was in the living room. When he saw smoke coming from the kitchen, he alerted her. He saved both their lives. She immediately called 911. They called Ira superman because he survived two open heart surgeries at six months old. Now he’s really their superman.
    Thank you to the people of Lovell for rallying so quick to help my family. I love and miss you all.

Comments are closed.